Last updated on January 21st, 2019 at 11:11 am
What type of accidents can I claim for?
Graysons’ personal injury solicitors can help you to claim compensation for a wide range of accidents. See these pages for more information:
Types of injuries you can claim for
- Road accidents
Other types of accidents, including:
- Injuries caused by animals
- Child accidents and injuries
- Accidents in public places
- Accidents on public footpaths and highways (paths and roads)
- Accidents in pubs and restaurants
- Accidents in shops and supermarkets
You can also claim for occupational illnesses and industrial diseases. Visit our occupational illness pages for information on:
- Advice about your occupational injury claim
- Occupational injury timescales
- Chest (respiratory) disease
- Asbestos related disease
- Occupational deafness
- Vibration white finger
- Occupational dermatitis
- Repetitive strain injury (RSI)
If you’re feeling conflicted about whether to make a claim, read our advice on why you shouldn’t feel guilty about making a personal injury claim.
What’s the time limit on making a personal injury claim?
If you want to make a personal injury compensation claim, it is vital that you contact us as soon as possible as there are time limits for starting a claim. Time limits depend upon the type of injury involved. For example:
- If your injury was caused by someone’s negligence you must start court proceedings within 3 years of your injury. If you weren’t aware of the injury initially you have to start proceedings within 3 years of finding out about it.
- If you were the victim of a criminal assault and you are applying for criminal injuries compensation, the time limit reduces to 2 years.
- If your claim is for an accident or injury whilst on holiday, at sea or in an aircraft, special time limits may apply. Please contact us for advice on these types of claims.
- The time limits for injuries suffered abroad may differ, depending on whether you are claiming against someone based in the UK, such as a travel company or tour operator, or someone based abroad.
- Time limits for children’s claims don’t start until they are 18 years old.
You can read more about time limits in our Personal Injury FAQs too.
How long will it take to settle my claim?
Various factors can affect how long it will take to settle the claim. For example:
- If the person or company you are claiming against admits liability early in the process, the claim is likely to take less time than if they deny it. Denial can prolong the claim, until we can prove their liability.
- We may need to obtain witnesses to an accident as this can add to the strength of your claim.
- There may be an issue in identifying the correct defendant. For instance, if you have a slip or trip on a public footpath due to utility work being carried out on it, we are likely to have to ascertain who is responsible for maintaining a safe environment. It could be the local authority, a utility company or a sub-contractor.
- The nature of the injury suffered will often dictate the length of time your claim takes to settle. A minor injury, which heals completely within a few weeks, should lead to a fairly quick conclusion. Injuries which need ongoing treatment can take longer to settle as we’ll have to assess what the long term implications of the injury are and look at medical evidence regarding the extent of your recovery.
Speedy settlement is not always in your best interests as in some cases it can take time to fully understand the level of ongoing injury and the impact it will have on your life. In some circumstances an interim payment might be paid.
Our specialist solicitors will always give you the best advice possible on every type of claim, so please contact us now for a consultation.
You can read more about how long it will take to settle your claim in our Personal Injury FAQs too.
How do I pay for my claim and how does Graysons get paid?
We offer a no win / no fee service, subject to a success fee (this is in accordance with legislation and is the most common way of financing personal injury claims). We will tell you at the outset of your case what the maximum percentage to be deducted from your compensation will be. This will be to cover our success fee and payments such as your insurance premium, if applicable.
If we don’t win your claim for you, we don’t get paid, so it’s in our interest to win.
We have a very high success rate in pursuing personal injury compensation claims and you can be confident that your claim will be handled in a professional manner by experienced specialists.
Why choose Graysons and what you can expect from us
Why choose Graysons?
- Our personal injury specialists have a wealth of experience in helping clients to successfully pursue all kinds of accident claims.
- Our breadth of expertise assures you that you will receive expert advice from someone with detailed knowledge of your type of claim.
- Our team comprises members of the Law Society Personal Injury Accreditation Scheme and the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL), so our skill, expertise and quality of service are assured.
- Our personal injury department is recommended in the Legal 500.
- Graysons Solicitors is proud to be a member of National Accident Helpline’s panel of solicitor firms. We are one of only a select number of specialist personal injury solicitor firms across the UK working with National Accident Helpline to provide the highest quality of service, as set out its customer charter.
- We’ve been awarded the Law Society’s Lexcel Legal Practice Quality Mark, an accreditation that assures you of our excellence in legal practice management and client care.
- Meet our personal injury team.
- Make an appointment/contact us.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Follow us on Facebook.
Contact us for a free initial consultation and we will be happy to discuss your case and advise you on the strength of your claim.
What you can expect from us: our promise to you
We know that injuries and illness that result from accidents can have a dramatic and sometimes life changing impact on you and your family.
We believe that you deserve the best possible medical care, rehabilitation and support after personal injury or illness.
So, if you’ve had an accident or suffered injury or illness that wasn’t your fault, we’ll pull out all the stops to make sure that you get the compensation that you need and deserve.
We promise you that:
- If we accept your claim, we’ll offer a no win / no fee service.
- Your claim will be handled by our team of personal injury specialists.
- You’ll receive understanding and professional advice, aimed at ensuring your individual needs and best interests are met.
- We will always endeavour to get the best possible outcome for your case, depending upon your individual circumstances.