Call for an initial consultation

  • Sheffield 0114 272 9184
  • Chesterfield 01246 229 393
  • Hathersage 01433650718

Slips & Trips

Common causes of slip and trip injuries are:

Last updated on April 6th, 2018 at 02:07 pm

  • Spillages on the floor
  • Poorly maintained footpaths and walking surfaces
  • Obstructions on walking surfaces
  • Insufficient lighting
  • Badly fitted carpets or floor coverings.

Can I make a claim?

Whether you’re in a public building, supermarket or shop, office, someone’s home, factory or any other premises, the occupier of those premises has a duty to take reasonable care to keep the walking areas free of obstruction and safe for people to use.

If you slip or trip on the public highway you may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim against the local authority.  You may also be able to make a claim against the local council if you suffer an injury on property which is owned by them, such as a council house, if it can be shown that they have been negligent.

Occupiers of public buildings also have a duty to take reasonable care to ensure that their premises are safe for members of the public. This means that if you slip on a spillage and suffer an injury, for instance in a supermarket or shop, you may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim if it can be shown that the person or company responsible for the premises has been negligent.

If you suffer an injury in someone’s home you may also be able to make a claim for compensation. Many home insurance policies include cover for liability so you don’t have to worry if your accident was in a friend’s or family member’s home as the insurance company should be liable to pay any compensation you may be awarded.

We have experience of handling compensation claims for accidents sustained in a wide variety of places.  For example:

  • Schools, colleges and universities
  • Pubs, clubs and bars
  • Restaurants and cafes
  • Hotels
  • Bus and railway stations
  • Car parks
  • Business premises and offices
  • Fairgrounds and fairground rides
  • Bouncy castles
  • Cinemas, theatres and sporting venues
  • Houses

We also have experience of helping people claim compensation for carbon monoxide poisoning, and food poisoning.

What can I claim?

You may be able to claim:

  • General damages: these cover physical pain and suffering, but can also include emotional pain such as depression which is a result of the injury.
  • Special damages: these cover things such as loss of earnings and out of pocket expenses, including medical expenses.

The amount of compensation you’ll win will depend on the severity of your injuries and the extent of your losses.

How do I make a claim?

Contact our personal injury specialists now to discuss making a no win/no fee personal injury claim.  We’ll guide you through the whole process and make sure that you receive the best compensation possible.

scroll to top