Call for an initial consultation

  • Sheffield 0114 272 9184
  • Chesterfield 01246 229 393
  • Hathersage 01433650718

Building Site Injuries

Building sites are, by their nature, potentially dangerous places.  Your employer has a duty to ensure that you are working in the safest way possible for the type of job that you do, and that the risk of accident is minimised. They have to carry out a health and safety risk assessment and take reasonable steps to ensure your safety. This includes giving you adequate safety equipment and providing suitable training.

Last updated on February 24th, 2021 at 09:27 pm

Can I make a claim?

If you suffer an injury while on a building site, and it wasn’t your fault, you may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim. As a general rule of thumb, to avoid hazards at work, pathways, stairways and floors should be kept clear and free from obstructions.

We’ll need to show that your accident happened as a result of your employer’s negligence, or the negligence of someone for whom your employer is responsible, such as a contractor or sub-contractor.

All employers must have insurance that covers injuries to their employees.  We’ll communicated with your employer or their insurers and inspect your workplace or machinery if necessary.  We’ll also obtain photographic evidence if possible and interview any witnesses.

Your employer or their insurer may make an offer of settlement and we’ll advise you whether this should be accepted or if the claim should be pursued further.  We’ll always try to negotiate a settlement rather than issue court proceedings, but if this is necessary, we will carry out the whole process for you.

We understand that making a claim against your employer might be daunting, but we have a wealth of experience in work place accidents and will guide you all the way.

Can my employer dismiss me if I make a claim?

If you make a claim for a work accident, your employer’s insurers should pay your compensation, not your employer themselves.

The law protects you from recriminations, including dismissal, if you make an accident claim against your employer.  If you have any concerns, please contact us and we will discuss this with you in confidence.

What types of injury can I claim for?

You can claim for any type of accident where it was not your fault and it can be shown that someone has been negligent. Common types of injuries sustained on building sites are:

  • Lifting heavy objects.  
  • Dangerous machinery.  
  • Defective scaffolding.  
  • Falls from roofs or ladders; correct safety and risk assessments must have been carried out
  • Accidents in work vehicles such as forklift truck, dumper truck, crane or tractor
  • Broken or defective safety harnesses
  • Electrocution
  • Unsuitable protective clothing or safety apparatus
  • Unsuitable lighting or visibility
  • Injury caused by co-workers
  • Insufficient training for the task
  • Burns and chemical injuries
  • Accidents with power tools
  • Accidents caused by construction debris
  • Fires and explosions
  • Work related upper limb disorders (WRULD) and repetitive strain injuries (RSI)

What can I claim?

You may be able to claim:

  • General damages: these cover physical pain and suffering, but can also include emotional pain such as depression which is a result of the injury.
  • Special damages: these cover things such as loss of earnings and out of pocket expenses, including medical expenses.

The amount of compensation you’ll  win will depend on the severity of your injuries and the extent of your losses.

How do I make a claim?

Contact our personal injury specialists now to discuss making a no win/no fee personal injury claim.  We’ll guide you through the whole process and make sure that you receive the best compensation possible.

scroll to top