Call for an initial consultation

  • Sheffield 0114 272 9184
  • Chesterfield 01246 229 393
  • Hathersage 01433650718

Child Accidents

Children can be injured in a variety of places: at school, nursery, in public places and in other people’s homes. 

Last updated on April 24th, 2019 at 03:18 pm

Wherever they are, we owe a duty of care to children and must ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to maintain their safety.

If your child has had an accident or suffered injury as a result of someone’s negligence, they may be entitled to make a personal injury compensation claim.

What types of accidents can children claim for?

We can pursue claims for any accident where a child has suffered due to someone’s negligence. This could be due to lack of adequate supervision, or failure to ensure the child’s safety.  For example:

  • Faulty equipment in a playground or educational establishment
  • Accidents at school, nursery, playgroup or crèche
  • Slips, trips or falls in public places
  • Car accidents

There are many other types of accident where a child can claim compensation.  If your child has had an accident and the cause is not listed above, please contact our personal injury specialists now and we will discuss the circumstances and assess whether a compensation claim can be made.

Special rules on claiming compensation on behalf of children

Claims made on behalf of a child are different from those made on behalf of an adult.

For a child’s claim, the normal three-year time limit does not start until the child reaches the age of 18.  Therefore you may bring a claim on behalf of a child up until the age of 21, even if the accident happened many years before.

However, we do recommend that you contact us as soon as possible if you think you may have a claim.

What can I claim?

You may be able to claim:

  • General damages: these cover physical pain and suffering, but can also include emotional pain such as depression which is a result of the injury.
  • Special damages: these cover things such as cost of care and out of pocket expenses, including medical expenses.

The amount of compensation you’ll win will depend on the severity of your injuries and the extent of your losses.

How do I make a claim?

Contact our child accident specialists now to discuss making a no win/no fee personal injury claim.  We’ll guide you through the whole process and make sure that you receive the best compensation possible.

Read how partner, Jonathan West, won compensation for two brothers who were injured when a shopping trolley fell on top of them.

scroll to top