Divorce/dissolution standard package
What is included in the standard package?
- One face-to-face, telephone or remote digital meeting with your legal representative
- Completion of all court forms on your behalf to progress the divorce/dissolution matter and filing of documents in court
- Placing ourselves on the court record as acting for you and liaising with the court in respect of the divorce/dissolution proceedings
- Progress updates at key stages from your legal representative and a flow chart and fact sheet
- Direct telephone and email contact details for your legal representative
What is not included in the standard package?
- Work or advice in relation to children matters, financial issues, property issues, domestic violence, advice about wills
- Advice or work if the divorce/dissolution is disputed, the respondent seeks to file their own application or amendments are required after the application is filed
- Deciding if application is to be sole applicant or joint applicants/li>
- Work or advice in pursuing or enforcing a cost order
- Attendance or representation at court
- Divorce/dissolution which is outside the jurisdiction of England & Wales or where a party lives abroad
- The cost of obtaining a copy of your marriage certificate
- Any work involved in obtaining a translation of your marriage certificate or other documents.
- Service of your application if your spouse/civil partner lives outside of the UK
If you require help on any of the above issues, further information about hourly charging rates and likely cost can be provided specific to your needs. We charge additional fixed fees for specific matters, such as obtaining a certified copy of your marriage certificate (£50+vat) and effecting personal service of a duplicate set of divorce papers upon your spouse/civil partner if this becomes necessary (£100+vat).
How much will it cost & when to pay?
Our standard fixed fee divorce/dissolution package acting for a sole applicant is £500 + VAT of £100 totalling £600. These costs are payable in two instalments, comprising a first payment of £300 on receipt of your instructions and a balancing payment of £300 about 2 months later when we apply for your conditional order. In addition to the solicitor costs, there is a court fee payable of £593 for issue of your divorce/dissolution application and you need to pay this just before we file the papers. If you are in receipt of benefits or on a low income, you may be eligible to apply for a full or partial remission or refund of this fee – please ask us about this if you believe you may qualify
Divorce/dissolution premium package
What is included in the premium package?
This is a full and comprehensive service about your divorce/dissolution where meetings can be arranged as often as you want and with unlimited communication by way of telephone calls, emails and letters. The service includes negotiation with your spouse/civil partner or his/her legal representative, going on court record and liaising on your behalf directly with the court office, preparation and lodging of all court papers, updates as to each stage of the matter, a flow chart and fact sheet to explain the court process and peace of mind knowing that you can contact us whenever you wish about any issue. It can include a costs claim in the petition against your spouse/civil partner and representation at a costs hearing in court if this claim is contested.
How much will it cost and when to pay?
The premium package is charged at your legal representative’s standard hourly rate plus VAT. The individual rates vary from £126 to £255 per hour plus VAT.
We will provide you with our best costs estimate at the outset of the case but an average divorce/dissolution premium package usually works out in the region of £800 + VAT of £160 + a court fee of £593 totalling £1,553 for the petitioner and in the region of £500 + VAT of £100 totalling £600 for the respondent. These estimates are for dealing with the paper exercise of dissolving the marriage/civil partnership only and do not extend to dealing with any ancillary issues such as dividing up property and finances or about the children.
A preliminary payment is taken on receipt of instructions usually of £300 and a monthly standing order set up to budget for the rest of the anticipated cost. The court issue fee of £593 is paid when filing the divorce application in court.
Non contentious fixed fees
We are able to discuss and agree with you a fixed fee package once in receipt of your instructions and aware of the nature and extent of your specific requirements for the following matters:
- Financial consent order ancillary to divorce /dissolution
- Prenuptial agreement with summary disclosure
- Prenuptial agreement with detailed disclosure (Form E)
- Cohabitation agreement
- Separation agreement
- Change of name deed
- Parental responsibility agreement (fathers/step-parents)
- Child maintenance deed
- Parenting plan
- Severance of beneficial joint tenancy
- Testamentary guardianship will
Contentious fixed fees
We can also offer fixed fee or capped fee packages for contested court proceedings depending on individual circumstances and depending upon which stage of the court process you have reached.
We offer all of our clients a payment plan by standing order to spread the cost of your legal fees over a period of time and make these more manageable.
Through Resolution, our Sheffield based Solicitors are also able to offer clients credit facilities for resolving family disputes through Iceberg Credit in certain circumstances.
Please contact us for further details.