We do not, of course, know how long the lockdown period might last.
Essentially, the “permitted” transactions are:
- Completing sales or purchases where exchange of contracts is already in place
- Exchanging and completing of sales where the seller client does not have to physically move
- Exchanging and completing on purchases of property with vacant possession – even if a move is required
- Exchanging and completing on the purchase of property subject to a tenancy/for investment purposes
- Re-mortgages involving no move
- Transfers of equity involving no move
In practice, the majority of transactions which involve both sales and purchases for clients and/or related “chains” are excluded from categories which can be exchanged and progress to completion in accordance with the government restrictions and public health guidelines.
In response to the situation, Graysons has like many other firms of conveyancing solicitors, put a number of staff on “furlough” under the government’s salary support scheme for businesses. We will continue to operate a conveyancing service for our clients with a reduced “Lockdown Team” . We will ensure that transactions which are capable of proceeding to completion (and/or exchange and completion) during the lockdown period are progressed to a conclusion, insofar as that is within our capability and control.
As far as other ongoing matters are concerned, we will do what we can to prepare those matters for exchange and completion as and when the lockdown period ends or restrictions are varied. We will not be able to progress and prepare ongoing matters aside the permitted categories of transaction as quickly as we would normally do, because of the temporary reduction in our Conveyancing Team staff numbers.
For the time being, your transaction will be handled by:
- Caroline Murray, Head of Department and Solicitor (Direct Dial: 0114 2419024 / email: [email protected]) / Katie Bacon, Licenced Conveyancer (Direct Dial: 0114 2419006 / email: [email protected])
- Robyn Woodhouse, Conveyancing Assistant (Direct Dial: 0114 241 9007 / email: [email protected] ) / Katie Harrison, Conveyancing Assistant (Direct Dial: 0114 241 9073 / email: [email protected])
- Chris Balderstone, Administration Assistant (Direct Dial: 0114 241 9057 / email: [email protected])
The team dealing with your transaction may be contacted by email and/or direct dial telephone number. Even though they are working remotely from the office, our communication systems mean that emails and calls will reach them directly.
We request that communications are kept to a reasonable and necessary minimum to assist the Lockdown Team in managing all clients’ interests during this difficult period. If you have a particular need or concern, we would be grateful if you could email in the first instance.
We are sure that our clients will understand the logistical and practical difficulties affecting conveyancing services during the lockdown period and will appreciate that our Lockdown Team are doing everything they can to maintain appropriate levels of client care and service.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
Best wishes and keep safe.
Peter Clark – Managing Partner